Dial 9-1-1 For POLICE, FIRE or MEDICAL EMERGENCY
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR DIALING 9-1-1 FROM A CELLULAR PHONE
- Did you know that the majority of 9-1-1 calls are made with a cell phone?
- Did you also know that if you dial 9-1-1 from a cell phone then
your emergency call could be routed to a different county's 9-1-1
center, such as Philadelphia, depending on your location and your cell
- If you dial 9-1-1 from a cell phone in Cheltenham Township, always start the conversation with "I am in Cheltenham Township, Montgomery County" so that the call taker can transfer you to the Montgomery County 9-1-1 Center if need be.
In Montgomery County, you can send text messages from your wireless
phone to 9-1-1 in an emergency. At this time, Text-to-911 is only
available to subscribers of AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless, and
Text-to-911 may be most helpful in these emergency situations:
individuals who have speech or hearing impairments, or who are having a
medical emergency that renders them incapable of speech;
- Or in
instances when making noise may endanger the caller, such as a home
invasion/robbery, or instances of domestic violence or an abduction.
HOW TO TEXT 9-1-1 IN AN EMERGENCY
Only use Text-to-911 in an emergency and if you are unable to make a voice call.
- Enter the numbers 911 in the "To" field.
- Describe your location - Text your exact location, address, and municipality (township or borough).
- Describe the situation - Text what emergency help is needed.
- Push the "Send" button.
that your message is concise, and does not contain abbreviations or
slang. As you wait for a response, remain calm. Answer questions and
follow instructions from the 9-1-1 call taker.
Call if you can, text if you can't
Click here for answers to frequently asked questions about Text-to-911.
UTILITY EMERGENCY INFORMATION
- Emergency number for PECO Gas and Electric: 1-800-841-4141
- Emergency number for Aqua Pennsylvania: 877-987-2782