H. Carroll Brooke Park (6.84 acres)
620 Brooke Road, Glenside
Facilities include: Playground, tot-lot playground outdoor basketball court (1/2 court), one softball field, parking area.
History: Acquired by the Township in 1936, it is named for the first President of the Board of Commissioners.
Charles D. Conklin, Jr. Recreation Area (6.68 acres)
Church and Yew Roads, Cheltenham
Facilities include: Outdoor swimming pool, full outdoor basketball court, outdoor sand volleyball court, playground, tot-lot playground, grills and picnicking, open leisure area, bathhouse, wading pool, parking area. Membership information
History: Formerly the "Cheltenham Swim Club," it was purchased by the Township in 1967 to provide swimming to residents. The area was dedicated to Mr. Conklin in July 1972, in honor of his service to the residents of the Township as Commissioner from 1926 to 1973.
Melrose Park (7.237 acres)
330 Asbury Avenue, Melrose Park
Facilities include: Playground, one softball field converted for soccer, leisure area, covered pavilion, parking area.
History: Acquired by the Township in two parcels in 1940 and 1948 to provide area residents with recreational opportunities.
Ogontz Park (10.35 acres)
Church and High School Roads, Elkins Park
Facilities include: Three tennis courts, handicapped-accessible playground, quarter-mile jogging track, one softball field converted for soccer, leisure area.
History: Once part of the Ogontz Junior High School complex, the athletic fields, jogging track and tennis courts were purchased by the Township from the School District in 1977, when the school closed. The playground was established by the Township in 1981.
Harry S. Renninger Recreation Area (8.278 acres)
Keswick Avenue and Waverly Road, Glenside
Facilities include: One baseball/softball field converted for soccer, two full outdoor basketball courts, playground, supervised summer playground program, leisure area.
Ralph Morgan Park (5.5 acres)
Glenside Avenue near Jenkintown Train Station
Facilities include: Passive recreation area, half court basketball, tot-lot playground, open space, natural area, paved walking trail.
History Once called Wyncote Park, it was renamed Ralph Morgan Park in 1965 in tribute to a Cheltenham Township Commissioner from 1924 to 1961. A memorial was also dedicated in the park in his honor.
John Russell Park (7.1025 acres)
Penrose and Willow Avenues, La Mott
Facilities include: Open space for multiple sports and a softball field.
History: This park is named for the man whose estate was in this area. Acquired by the Township in late 1950 as a gift from the Robinson family.
600 Church Road, west of York Road, Elkins Park
Facilities include: Once Upon a Playground -- a one-of-a-kind playground built in May 2004 by the Friends of Wall Park -- three lighted outdoor tennis courts, full outdoor lighted basketball court, a skate park for skateboard and inline skates, playground, supervised summer playground program, spray pool, a soccer field, rest rooms, parking area, leisure area.
History: Purchased by the Township in two parcels in 1926 and 1932. The playground area and spray pool were developed in 1965. The basketball court was constructed in 1969. The park was once part of the Richard Wall estate, and thus named in his honor.
Thomas Williams Park (9.13 acres)
North Bent and Hewett Roads, Wyncote
Facilities include: Four tennis courts, full outdoor basketball court, playground, tot-lot play area, one softball field converted for soccer, covered pavilion.
History: Once used as a junior high school by the Cheltenham Township School District, the building and surrounding grounds were given to the Township in exchange for a parcel of ground owned by the Township, which is now the site of the Cedarbrook Middle School. The tennis courts were constructed by the Township in 1974. The school building was demolished in 1970. It was dedicated Thomas Williams Park in 1971 in honor of the man whose estate was located here.
Tookany Creek Parkway and Central Avenue
Facilities include: A baseball field converted for soccer, concession/storage building, rest rooms, one outdoor basketball court, two tennis courts, playground, parking area.
History: This park area was rededicated on Memorial Day 2013 to honor all of our Veterans.
Tookany Creek Parkway and Harrison Avenue, Elkins Park
Facilities include: Two baseball fields, a softball field, and a field for T-ball.
History: Acquired by the Township in 1965 expressly for the development of Little League programs in the Township. Named for Ellis A. Gimbel, a front-runner in organizing field improvements for the Old York Road Little League, which has merged with the Cheltenham Athletic Association to form the Cheltenham Little League, whom continues to use the fields.
Tookany Creek Parkway, east of Beryl Road
Facilities include: Pond stocked for fishing, annual Fishing Derby in June, parking area, leisure area, and fountain.
History: Named in memory of William Kleinheinz (1865-1936), a resident of Cheltenham Township, and a leading horticulturist. A stone memorial has been placed there in his honor.
Tookany Creek Parkway and New Second Street, Elkins Park
Facilities include: Three rinks for league and open play
History: In 1996 the Township converted leased tennis courts from school district to provide inline skaters a place to play.
Tookany Creek Parkway near New Second Street, Elkins Park (next to the fire training area)
Facilites include: Fitness equipment, converted soccer field, and parking area.
Keswick Avenue and Waverly Road, Glenside
Facilities include: Lighted swimming pool, leisure area, bathhouse, baby pool, children's water slide, playground. Call the Parks and Recreation Department at 215-887-1000, extension 227 for membership informationmembership information.
History: The Glenside Pool was reconstructed and relocated in 1967 to provide aquatic recreation for all Township resident.
La Mott Community Center and Playground (1.723 acres)
Sycamore and Willow Avenues, La Mott
Facilities include: Full indoor basketball court, playground, supervised summer playground program, summer teen enrichment program, indoor instructional, recreational and educational programs year-round, senior citizen programs, various health programs, playing field. For further information, call 215-635-3255.
History: Once the site of Camp William Penn during the Civil War, this town of La Mott was known as "Camptown." It was renamed La Mott to honor Lucretia Mott, a well-known abolitionist who lived here. The La Mott Grammar School was built in 1879 to encourage the purchase of real estate in the area. It closed in 1940, and reopened in 1941 as a community center to serve area residents.
Rowland Community Center and Playground (2.3956 acres)
Myrtle and Elm Avenues, Cheltenham
Facilities include: An outdoor multipurpose court, indoor instructional, recreational and educational programs year-round, full indoor basketball court, playground, senior citizen programs, parking area. For further information, call 215-379-2233.
History: Built in 1915 by the Cheltenham Township School District as an elementary school, it was named in honor of Thomas Rowland, an influential Cheltenham resident in the 1800's. The building and surrounding grounds were purchased by the Township from the School District when the school closed in 1977.