Wyncote was developed as a wealthy residential neighborhood in the late 1880s. The general borders of the district are Glenview Avenue, the SEPTA railroad line, Webster Avenue and Church Road. The district itself was created in a piecemeal fashion by six different developers as four distinct developments:
Wyncote Village, the Redfield development, the Walt development, and the Tyson development. Lots were subdivided and well-known architects such as Horace Trumbauer and Frank Furness designed many of the residences. The most popular building style was Queen Anne, although Second Empire, Colonial Revival and Tudor Revival styles can also be found in the district. Deed restrictions were written to include minimum building costs, lot sizes, and setbacks. Thus, it was ensured that the area would remain an exclusive suburb. The Wyncote Improvement Association was also established in the 1890s to further this goal. By 1915, most of the lots had been developed.
The district also contains several non-residential buildings. All Hallows Episcopal Church, designed by Frank Furness, built in 1897, and the Calvary Presbyterian Church, built in 1899, were designed in the English Gothic style. The Wyncote-Jenkintown Train Station and waiting room, designed by Horace Trumbauer, are also included in the district because of the railroad’s contribution to the growth of the community.