On September 10, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that federal disaster assistance has been made available to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to supplement commonwealth and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by Hurricane Ida from August 31 to September 5, 2021.
The major disaster declaration through FEMA will provide federal funding and services to eligible individuals and households through the Individual Assistance program and impacted communities through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.
Individuals in Montgomery County can apply with FEMA the following ways:
- Apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
- Call the application phone number at 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585)
- Apply in person at a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC)
Montgomery County will announce the location of a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) in the coming days. At the DRC residents can apply for aid in person, visit for information about FEMA or other disaster assistance programs, or ask questions related to their case. For additional information on the Pennsylvania disaster declaration, visit https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4618.
See FEMA's "Help After a Disaster" brochure (multiple languages available) to learn more about the types of FEMA Individual Assistance support that may be available in disaster recovery.
If you have insurance, first file a claim with your insurance company immediately. FEMA assistance cannot aid with losses already covered by insurance.
Residents are encouraged to:
- Take photos of their damaged home and belongings;
- Make a list of damaged/lost items;
- File a claim with their insurance company if they have insurance;
- Report property damage as listed on Montco’s Ida webpage; and
- Keep receipts of costs incurred due to displacement.
The Hurricane Ida Crisis Cleanup Hotline has been established for residents who have sustained damage and need help with cutting fallen trees, removing affected drywall, flooring, and appliances, tarping roofs, and mold remediation. Call the Hotline at 844-965-1386.
All recovery updates from Montgomery County are posted at www.montcopa.org/Ida.